This recipe is basically the same as the one found here: Beer Cheese Cupcakes
Yield: About 24 cupcakes (the original recipe yielded 18)
- 1 cup beer (I used Rogue's Dead Guy Ale because it was what I had in the fridge that I was willing to part with for baking, not drinking, purposes.)
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 cup grated cheddar (I probably should have bought some really sharp real block of cheddar, but I had some pre-shredded Mexican cheddar mix in a bag leftover from a taco potluck so I just used that)
- 2 cups dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup sour cream (I didn't measure this very accurately, so I have a feeling I was closer to 1 cup)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tb vanilla extract (I didn't have enough left in my bottle, so it was about 1/2 the recommended amount)
- 2 cups flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Heat beer and butter in a large saucepan on medium-high heat until butter is melted.
- Add cheddar.
- Remove from heat, and whisk in the sugar.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the sour cream with the eggs and vanilla.
- Mix the sour cream mixture into the beer mixture.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour and baking soda.
- Fold flour mixture into the batter.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 fill.
- Bake at 350 F for 25 minutes, or until inserted cake tester comes out clean.
Bacon Cheddar Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
- 8oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar (I ended up only using about 3 cups, I liked the consistency and it wasn't too sweet, still pretty cheddary at this point)
- 3/4 cup grated cheddar
- 1 cup bacon bits (I made my own by cooking it in the microwave and cutting it into pieces. I only had 3 strips of bacon left in my fridge, so it wasn't a whole cup. More like 1/2 cup. It was also maple flavored bacon.)
- Beat cream cheese and butter until creamy.
- Add grated cheddar.
- Slowly mix in powdered sugar.
- Stir in bacon bits.
- Frost and enjoy!
Ryan's response: Pretty kick-ass cupcake. I think that's pretty good. He said pretty much you taste a lot of cheddar, unless you take a bacon-bite!
I thought they were an interesting (in a good way) cupcake. Maybe not my favorite since I'm a chocolate-lover, but definitely a great cupcake if you're in the mood for something not so sweet, and a great combination of flavors!